Dear Ms Taylor,
AshleyOut.com note with interest the statements released by Newcastle United Football Club yesterday evening and earlier today in response to Channel 4’s Dispatches programme titled “The Secrets of Sports Direct” that was broadcast yesterday at 8pm.
Firstly we would like to applaud the club’s ability to react with urgency and determination when it considers its dignity as a proud institution under threat. That said, we do consider it remarkable that a slight inaccuracy about Sports Direct’s relationship with the club has brought about this resolve, and not the fact that thousands of the club’s fans are turning their backs to the club in disgust. Or the fact that the decision to weaken the squad and not appoint a proper manager leaves the club on the brink of another relegation. Or even the fact that its chosen “interim” manager has hurled abuse at the club’s fans for the second time this season.
Of particular interest in the Club’s statement was that “in the Club’s view, the broadcaster deliberately misled Newcastle United supporters and provided yet another example of erroneous media reporting which only serves to further antagonise fans”. A rather ironic stance coming from the current administration at the club, considering they have previously admitted in the Premier League Manager’s Arbitration Tribunal that they had “repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United”.
We regret not contacting the club prior to the launch of our website to allow it to comment on its contents, but we realise it is better late than never and we certainly would not want any information on our website to be “wholly inaccurate”. To avoid falling foul of the thorough scrutiny the club seemingly applies in its public relations, we have to date published 37 articles on our website AshleyOut.com and we assure you we have earnestly endeavoured to ensure all articles are factually correct with sources referenced where applicable. In the spirit of your club statement we appreciate that “Newcastle United would like to clarify the facts for the benefit of supporters”, such as:
- the fact that the club’s debt has almost doubled since Mike Ashley’s takeover
- the fact that the club’s commercial and matchday revenue has declined since Mike Ashley’s takeover, staggeringly countering the trend of other Premier League clubs
- the fact that on average since Mike Ashley’s takeover the club has lost five league positions
- the fact that in the 13 years before Mike Ashley’s takeover Newcastle United played in Europe no less than 9 times (3CL, 6 Uefa/CWC) whereas since it has qualified for Europe only once
- the fact that in the 13 years before Mike Ashley’s takeover Newcastle United reached the last 8 of domestic cup competitions no less than 11 times (2 finals, 2 SF, 7 QF), whereas since it has reached beyond the fourth round only once
- and many more
AshleyOut.com hereby offers you an invite to provide comment on the published articles on our website so that we may rectify any factual inaccuracies as long as accurate information is provided to counter any errors.
Should we not receive a response within 7 days of the date of this correspondence we will assume that all content on our website is 100% factually correct to the satisfaction of Newcastle United Football Club.